Monday 6 December 2010

Nativity not Negativity

Today I read the most fabulous blog by a man named Tom Evans - you can find it here http://goo.gl/5CGD9.  It was about literature and negativity, and it echoed so many ideas that I've been mulling over recently, and maybe not so recently.  In fact I need to go back to the 1980's to explain the start of it.


I know it was the 1980's because I was living my former life when I saw the television programme.  It was Panorama and they were talking about attitudes to health in the USA, saying that they could buy drugs over the counter that were only available on prescription here.  More than that, the Americans were obsessed by their health and diet in a way that the programme makers considered to be unhealthy.  They said that it would happen here and quite frankly I laughed.  I was wrong.


For a long time I've been concerned about the sheer overwhelming weight of negativity that is thrust upon us each day and from every imaginable angle.  We have fear about our food and whether we know what's in it, our health, our fitness, our lifestyles, our telephones, our computers, foreigners, shall I go on?  I don't think so,  you've got the picture and you know the list could be far longer.


Like most people on a Spiritual path I'm choosy about reading newspapers and how much of the news I watch.  It can be quite hard to keep up with current events if you want to avoid negativity, but it can be done if you choose your publications.


I don't read women's magazines very often because negativity creeps in amongst the eyeliner and lip gloss.  You can barely read a magazine without seeing something about health and body shape, and so on.


Friends have noted that I'm more aware of these negative messages than others, but I feel lucky to be so because I can combat the negativity with positive thinking, whereas other people may not even be aware of how much they are being drip fed over the loudspeakers in supermarkets, in the media, and in other places that you might not expect it. 


I am though quite typical of people on a Spiritual path who find throughout their journey that their tolerance for the negative gradually diminishes and they wish to embrace positivity, joy and happiness as much as is humanly possible in this screwed up (but wonderful) world of ours. 


The posting I mentioned above crystallised for me the latest area that's began to impact on my consciousness - novels.  I have a number of fantastic writers whose work I thoroughly enjoy, and their new novels always jump off the shelf straight into my basket the instant their published.  Yet lately I've found that I'm enjoying these books less and less, because they're normally about murder, mayhem, lying, cheating and stealing.  In other words thrillers!  Not so very thrilling though.


The writers are brilliant but the subject matter tells us that the world cannot be trusted, evil is always out there, and even if you're the hero of the novel it's all coming back to bite you again in the next book.


After reading that awesome blog this morning it convinced me to take action and remove an entire area of negativity from my life by changing my reading habits next year.  There are so many wonderfully humorous books out there, so many non-fiction books that inform and inspire, that I don't need to stick with the same old same old anymore, and I'm not going to.


For me after the Nativity I'm going to bring in another positive step in my life campaign for positivity and peace of mind.


What will you change next year that will help you to live a happier life?


Wishing you happy days and peaceful nights.


Deb







No comments:

Post a Comment