Sunday 5 December 2010

That's Why They Call it a Private Life


I love social networking, I have some good friends scattered all over the world and we use social networking in a meaningful way to keep up with each other and make sure that everyone is safe and happy.  I also enjoy making new 'virtual' friends and finding out who they are and what they're up to, but I have to say that I don't feel comfortable with the people who request friendship and then use it to try and ram their private life down my throat.

Most people feel comfortable with keeping their private life behind closed doors and revealing to people who don't need to be involved in it only the public side of themselves.  There is a healthy reason for this, total revelation gives every person you meet too much information, it also pre-empts their opinion of you and, to a certain extent, labels and pigeon holes you forever.

Whereas if you meet each new person that comes into your life with a clean slate on both sides, you will not only have the fun of getting to know each other but you will also allow yourself to be changed by the experience.  Even negative experiences with people will teach you something about yourself and allow you to use the negative lesson as fuel for a more positive future.

I came to a point in my life where I refused to discuss the past, go into what happened within my first marriage, complain about my childhood (unless an old family pattern rears it's ugly head again and reminds me), or talk about how I felt from the ages of 15 to 35.

I took that decision because I realised that every time I told a new person about my past they were judging me in light of that past, and quite often new people would throw old accusations at me that had no basis of fact in the present because I had told them that it had once been a good way to hurt me.  I know of other friends who have taken similar decisions for similar reasons.

So before you reveal everything about you on a social networking site, or even your quirky side, think carefully if you want to always remain that person or you want to grow and develop as life takes you, shapes you and moulds you.

I for one wouldn't want to be known for only one aspect of my personality or as the person of my past, nor would I wish to close the door to improvement and ever increasing happiness.

As to my private life my lips are sealed by my latest sparkling lip gloss LOL.

Wishing you happy days and peaceful nights

Deb

2 comments: