Monday 6 December 2010

World Peace - the Biggest Uphill Battle of All Time

Earlier this week I couldn't think of a single thing to blog about, and then today two subjects inspired me to put digit to keyboard.  The first was protecting yourself, and the second is...well...protecting the world.


I've noticed a lot of discussion about Iran lately, and as a person who does try to do her bit for world peace I have to say that the tone of that talk is concerning me.  There seems to be a movement being created to put fear into the hearts of western shoppers that reminds me very much of the same thing that happened first with Iraq and then with Afghanistan.  


I'm not commenting here on the rightness or otherwise of entering into either of those wars, I don't know enough about the whys and wherefores of the decision making to make an informed comment.  It's just that I saw pre-fear being whipped up on both those occasions and it's happening again now.


I'm also not going to go into the nitty-gritty of what's happening at the moment and where it might lead.  Trying to work out what our individual and collective governments are thinking and up to is as much beyond me as anyone else in the world - because they don't tell us the truth.  


What scares me is that people are talking fighting talk and other people are passing on that fighting talk without thinking about what they're doing.


I'm an historian by training and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a lot going on of which the truth will never be known, because records will be lost and amended to make certain countries and individuals seem to be a lot more innocent and/or righteous than they were.  


What I do know is that to continue to spread fear before we know for certain that there is a need to fear, is only creating the very fear that is required to bring about yet another call to arms that could cost countless numbers of lives.


So I'm begging you, don't be afraid until we at least have some evidence  that there is a need to be afraid (hopefully better than the evidence pointing to weapons of mass destruction in Iraq).


Don't think that the majority of the Iranian people are doing anything other than living their lives in their own way and hoping that they won't be nuked in their sleep.  If you look at history they have at least as much reason, if not more, to fear the west than we do them.


There are fundamentalists out there who we all need to be afraid of and they exist in all cultures and religions.  Do we honestly believe that when Christian, British and other fundamentalists spit their vitriol out to the world other nations don't quake in their boots?  Of course they do, and of course their fundamentalists scare us.


Just please, please think before you pass on any negative messages.  The more we can be positive, the more that we can feel love and spread love, the quicker we will get a start on making this world a safe place.  Goodness knows it's going to take long enough, so let's get started now.


Wishing everyone, everywhere, happy days and peaceful nights


Deb



No comments:

Post a Comment